Dubai: Are you thinking of traveling to the UAE? There are certain things that we should know when going to any foreign country. Transportation, accommodation, and currency exchange are just some of them. As far as the Malayalis are concerned, we have an unbreakable relationship with the Gulf countries.
In recent years, the number of people visiting the Gulf countries has been increasing not only for work but also for sightseeing. If you are planning to visit the UAE as a tourist or a permanent resident, here are five things you must keep in mind:
1. Download the Al Hosn app
Restrictions relating to Covid have recently been loosened in the UAE. Most public spaces no longer require masks. But some guidelines like ‘Green Pass’ still need to be followed in the Al Hosn app.
You can easily update your Covid-19 vaccination and test records at:
1.You will be given the choice to sign in as a visitor when you download the app.
2. Press “NEXT.”
3. Include your mobile number, your nationality, and your passport number. It doesn’t matter if the phone number is from abroad. But you must ensure that you provide the same number as the one you submit to the immigration authority at the airport when you arrive in the UAE.
4. After checking your details, click Continue.
5. Enter the six-digit OTP sent to your mobile for verification purposes.
6. Check your profile after arriving in UAE.
2. Take a UAE SIM card
SIM cards can be purchased through kiosks located in the arrival terminals of international airports in the UAE. Don’t worry if you don’t have time to pick up the SIM card at the airport.
After settling in visit a nearby mall. Etisalat, DU, and Virgin Mobile stores will be in the mall where you can buy SIM cards.
3. Convert money to dirhams
International credit cards can be used to make payments in most places. But it is better to have some dirhams with you. You can visit a money exchange at the airport or near your accommodation to change your home country’s currency into dirhams
4. Get a public transport pass
In Dubai, you can easily get around the city using water transport like buses, metro, and trams. Noll cards should be taken to use public transport options. The Noll card can also be used as an alternative payment method when taking a taxi or buying groceries.
5. Download the app for public transport/taxi
For public transport, you can download the app S’hail in Dubai. This app is managed by the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA). In Abu Dhabi, the app managed by Abu Dhabi’s Integrated Transport Center (ITC) will help you.